Bellevue Wrongful Death Attorneys
Are you suffering from the untimely death of a loved one? If their passing was caused by the negligence of another person—also known as a personal injury— then you may have the legal right to pursue damages in order to hold the perpetrator responsible for their misdeed.
Beginning this difficult legal process requires the trusted counsel of an expert wrongful death attorney. A wrongful death attorney will know how to find and orchestrate evidence in order to demonstrate that the death of your loved one happened was not their own fault and that another party is to blame.
What is Wrongful Death?
Wrongful death is a death that is caused by the negligence or intentional misconduct of another individual or company. Losing a loved one to wrongful and premature death is devastating and can lead extended financial challenges for the family members of the deceased.
For this reason, any type of personal injury that results in death can also be the basis of a wrongful death claim and potentially, lawsuit. Wrongful death claims may arise out of a number of circumstances. Listed below are several situations which could result in a wrongful death claim.
- Medical malpractice on the part of a doctor or nurse could be the basis of a wrongful death claim.
- Criminal activity that results in a death.
- Occupational exposure to hazardous conditions. For example, the death of a firefighter from breathing toxic fumes.
- Automobile or airplane accidents
- A death that occurs during a supervised activity or sport.
With more than 10 years of experience working with cases of wrongful death in Bellevue, Dax Jones of The Jones Firm strives to help his clients reach the best possible outcome for their wrongful death lawsuits.
What Does a Wrongful Death Attorney Do?
It is the job of a wrongful death attorney to pursue legal action against the individual or company held at fault for the decedent’s death. Specific areas that a wrongful death lawyer could pursue legal action and financial compensation for include:
- Lost future earnings
- Medical expenses
- Pain and suffering compensation
- Economic damages
- Non-economic damages
- Punitive damages
- Loss of enjoyment of life
- Funeral and burial expenses
Pursuing legal action by working with a wrongful death law firm, following the death of a family member is essential to receiving just compensation for the financial and future financial loss that you are likely to suffer.
Who May Pursue Legal Action for a Wrongful Death?
In most cases, immediate family can pursue legal action for wrongful death. Spouses, life partners, financial dependents (such as children or wards), and other close family members who will suffer financial loss as a result of the wrongful death can all pursue legal action against the individual or company responsible.
The laws regarding how close of kinship is required to pursue legal action for wrongful death may vary depending on your state and region, so it is wise to talk with a wrongful death lawyer to determine your best course of action.
Who May be Sued for a Wrongful Death?
To pursue legal action based off of a wrongful death charge, certain elements must apply to your case.
Firstly, the death of a human being must have occurred to make a wrongful death charge.
Secondly, that death must have been caused by an individual or company’s negligence or through intentional harm.
Thirdly, there must be family members who will, as a consequence of the death, suffer monetary loss or extreme emotional loss.
Who Can Be Sued?
- The designer or builder of a faulty product (including vehicles) or of a faulty roadway.
- The driver at fault in the automobile accident that caused wrongful death.
- Any person who served, sold, or gave alcohol to an already impaired driver (this includes restaurant staff, store employees, etc.).
- The owner of the house or establishment where alcohol was served to an impaired driver.
- A government employee who failed to competently warn drivers about hazardous road conditions that could lead to an accident.
- There is some immunity provided to certain government employees against wrongful death lawsuits. To determine whether or not the individual or company who caused the wrongful death is protected, it is best to seek the counsel of an expert wrongful death attorney.
Contact a Wrongful Death Attorney Today
The Jones Firm faithfully assists families in Bellevue and the surrounding areas who have lost a loved one due to a wrongful death situation. Dax Jones takes immediate action, pursuing justice for living family members of the decedent and ensuring the best possible outcome for each clients’ case.
We will thoroughly investigates all the implications of the wrongful death claim and builds a strong case around it. We are committed to assisting our clients in every way possible and are very knowledgeable of the complexities of wrongful death cases and the specific laws Washington state has regarding them.
Contact the Bellevue Jones Firm today to speak to a legal professional or to receive a free consultation.