Bellevue Traffic Violation Lawyer
While simply paying the fine may seem like the path of least resistance, the reality is that pleading guilty to a traffic violation can have disastrous consequences for your driving record, insurance rates, and your ability to find employment or travel.
What Will Happen If You Plead Guilty To Your Violation
There are many consequences to pleading guilty to a traffic violation. Here are some examples of what could happen to you, should you simply accept and pay your ticket.
- If you plead guilty to a DUI, DWAI, DWI, or reckless driving violation, then you will be banned from entering Canada.
- If you plead guilty to a DUI or DWI, your license will be suspended for a year, you could face up to six months in prison, be forced to pay heavy fines, and will have to attend DUI school.
- While your first DUI is considered a Gross Misdemeanor, your second DUI is charged as a felony — this will give you a criminal record and will negatively impact your ability to get a job in the future.
- If you hold a commercial driver’s license (CDL), then you must report your traffic violation to your employer. This may result in a loss of employment. To make matters worse, if your violation was severe, then you may likely lose your commercial driver’s license.
- Pleading guilty may cause you to lose your security clearances in private and government facilities.
- If you plead guilty to a traffic ticket, you will probably experience an increase in your car insurance premiums of up to 22%. This spells disaster for your budget and it may be many years before your insurance company lowers your costs again.
- If you’re a member of the military, you may face sanctions if you plead guilty.
- If you are under the age of 21, the judge may punish you with greater consequences than if you were of legal age. This is especially true in regards to drug, alcohol, and firearm violations.
As a driver in Washington state, you have the right to challenge your ticket in a court of law. Don’t just accept your fate. Instead, fight for your rights and find a reputable and experienced Bellevue traffic attorney to represent you in court.
Why A Traffic Ticket Attorney Is The Best Choice For You
Most traffic violations are processed as civil infractions, and while the standard of proof for criminal infractions is “beyond a reasonable doubt” the standard of proof for civil infractions is “preponderance of the evidence.” Which is another way of saying that you will be found guilty if the prosecutor can demonstrate that there is slightly more than a 50% chance that you committed the traffic violation. As many people find out while representing themselves, is that just the officer’s report is all that is needed to sway the preponderance of the evidence against you. The hard truth is that if you choose to represent yourself, then you will likely walk away with a traffic violation on your record, and this is why it is crucial to find an expert Bellevue traffic ticket lawyer to represent you in court.
Like most people, you probably don’t know how to procure the footage from traffic cameras. This is one of the benefits of hiring an attorney. Traffic lawyers know how to get through all the bureaucratic red tape in order to secure video camera evidence and other pieces of evidence for your case.
Being An Expert In Traffic Law
Traffic law is complicated and not something you want to spend hundreds of hours learning in order to represent yourself in court. By hiring an expert Bellevue traffic attorney, you are fortifying your case with decades of traffic law experience.
Dismissing Or Lowering Your Penalties
Americans pay more than $6 billion in speeding tickets each year! You don’t have to contribute to that number. A qualified traffic ticket attorney will know how to argue with the judge in order to dismiss or lower your penalties. Even if you still have to pay some fine, getting your penalties lowered usually means the infraction won’t be listed on your driving record, thus sparing your insurance premiums and ability to travel!
Saving You Money
Best of all, working with a traffic violation lawyer means that you will most likely save money. Many people wrongly assume that it’s cheaper to pay the fine than to hire a lawyer — this is false, especially if you’re being accused of a serious violation (e.g. DUI, reckless driving, eluding police, or uninsured motorist). By working with a traffic attorney, you drastically increase your chances of getting your penalties dismissed or lowered, will probably be able to get violations stricken from your record, and will end up saving money.
Traffic Attorney In Bellevue
If you have been handed a traffic citation, contact our expert traffic law attorneys at The Jones Firm. We have a proven track record of successfully resolved cases and will do our very best to bring your case to its best possible outcome.You can reach us online by email or by contacting us over the phone. We will meet with you at a place convenient for you in the King, Pierce, or Snohomish counties. Our initial traffic violation consultation is free, so contact us today! You have nothing to lose and much to gain.